Follow these ten top tips to help your pet cope with firework and thunderstorm fears:
1) Ensure your pet is safely inside and secure doors, windows and cat flaps.
2) Allow your dog or cat to hide in a bolthole where they feel safe. You can further
increase this feeling of security by plugging in an ADAPTIL™ or Feliway®
3) Speak to your vet about using a product which can be sprayed onto a bandana tied
around your dog’s neck or on their bedding to give them additional support.
4) Make sure your dog or cat is microchipped. If they do escape, frightened animals
can easily get lost.
5) In the few days before fireworks, ensure dogs are used to be taken for a walk early in
the evening and cats have litter trays.
6) Close all doors, windows and draw the curtains, play music and / or have the tv on to
help mask the noise of fireworks.
7) Comfort your pet in a reasonable manner. Promote calm behaviour by displaying
calm behaviour yourself. Cats prefer to be left to cope on their own.
8) Don’t get cross with or punish your pet, regardless of their behaviour, as it will only
make them more distressed.
9) Try not to leave your pet alone when fireworks are going off. Pets may hurt
themselves or cause damage when not supervised.
10) After the fireworks season speak to your vet about treatment for fear of fireworks.
ADAPTIL and sounds desensitisation CD’s have been scientifically proven to be an
effective combination for treating firework phobias in dogs. Your vet may also wish
to refer you to a qualified veterinary behaviourist.
ADAPTIL (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) is a synthetic copy of the natural appeasing
pheromone that puppies are exposed to after birth when feeding from their mother. When
used on any age dog it mimics the properties of this natural reassuring signal, thus reducing
anxiety and preventing fear and stress related behaviours. ADAPTIL is scientifically proven
to reduce the intensity of fear felt by a dog during firework exposure.
ADAPTIL is available in three convenient formulations.
is a synthetic copy of the natural feline facial pheromone used by cats use to mark
their environment as safe and familiar. When used in the home it signals to cats that they
are in a secure environment. Feliway is scientifically proven to reassure cats and may help
to reduce fearful reactions to loud noises and prevent stress due to indoor confinement.
Feliway is available in a diffuser and a spray.